Monday, March 11, 2013

IKEA TRANSFORMATION: SILVER LANTERN

I recently took a trip to IKEA and found this cute lantern for $7.99. I am currently re-doing my basement. My inspiration is Grey/White Chevron with a burst of Teal here and there. I couldn't find anything that I liked to put inside of the lantern so I decided to make my own. A lot of times you will see people put candles in lanterns like this but I wanted something different! 


Materials Needed:
Any size of lantern will do
Unfinished wooden balls in various sizes(# of balls depends on how many you wish to use)
Mod Podge Gloss
Foam Brush
Egg Carton
Scissors
Scrapbook paper or Tissue paper or Thin pages out of a book/newspaper
Fine Glitter(optional)
I bought three bags of various sizes of balls at Hobby Lobby.

Cut different sizes of strips  from the scrapbook paper you choose.  

You will apply the mod podge on each strip and put them onto the ball. You can place the strips any way you would like....just make sure that the all the wood is covered. Once you have covered the entire ball with strips, you should brush the entire ball with a thin coat of mod podge to seal all the strips together. If you want to add a special sparkle, sprinkle VERY FINE glitter onto the balls. I chose to only sprinkle glitter on the chevron balls just to add that extra something!  An egg carton is a perfect place to place the balls in to dry. It only took about twenty minutes for all the balls to dry. 

Once all the balls are dry you can place the different balls in your lantern how you please. 

No comments:

Post a Comment